Aspects of American Culture EN4267 (01_2006)

Culture is roughly anything we do and the monkeys don't. Lord Raglan
The Colonial Period

Characteristics of Americans during this period:

  • Tough
  • Rugged individualism
  • Searching for a better life
  • Treasure seeking
  • Freedom from oppression
  • Not afraid to fight
  • Honest and dependable (no choice on this or they died)
  • Few women to choose from
  • Getting along with the native Indians
  • Not getting along with the government (don't bother us we are too busy staying alive)
Can you guys think of any more characteristics of these Europeans?
Nation Building

Characteristics of American Culture during this period:

  • Racism
  • Slow transportion
  • Interaction with Indian civilization
  • Expanding border and new opportunities
  • Traditional families with wife at home
  • Pride in accomlishment
  • Unexplored territories
  • Family oriented
  • Individualistic
  • Love of freedom
  • Women subdued and no rights
  • Desire to prove one's self
  • Independent
  • Tough times
Have I covered them all?
Civil War

Characteristics of American Culture during this period:

  • More racism
  • Love for state rights
  • Personal freedom
  • Sacrificing for a belief
  • Belief in slavery (south)
  • Competition
  • Family values
  • Duty above all else
  • Chivalry
  • Importance of community
  • Women subdued and obedient
  • Independent
  • Pride in proving themselves
  • Bravery paramount
How is this list?
Western Expansion
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Industrial Age
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Roaring Twenties
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Great Depression
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
World War II
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Cold War
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Civil Rights
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Modern
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Wednesday, July 26, 2006
The Midterm Break. Time for an Indian Wedding
A. Dale has started a new blog entitled A Dale Indian Wedding Blog. Go check it out and find out what a native Indian wedding in Oklahoma looks like. It may surprise you. Ask questions and get as much information from A. Dale as you can. This is good for your research skills as well as your Englsh writing skills.

The first class after the midterm break (August 7), we will be concentrating on American music. I will have a guest musician who will play various types of American music and visit with you about these types. Make sure you undersand what folk music, spiritual music, blues music and, of course, jazz and rock muic are. He will cover most of the types.

For your homework assignment read and memorize the follow song:

Dry Bones

Download Midi File Here

Ezekiel cried, "Dem dry bones!"
Ezekiel cried, "Dem dry bones!"
Ezekiel cried, "Dem dry bones!"
"Oh, hear the word of the Lord."

The foot bone connected to the leg bone,
The leg bone connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone connected to the back bone,
The back bone connected to the neck bone,
The neck bone connected to the head bone,
Oh, hear the word of the Lord!

Dem bones, dem bones gonna walk aroun',
Dem bones, dem bones, gonna walk aroun'
Dem bones, dem bones, gonna walk aroun'
Oh, hear the word of the Lord.

The head bone connected to the neck bone,
The neck bone connected to the back bone,
The back bone connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone connected to the leg bone,
The leg bone connected to the foot bone,
Oh, hear the word of the Lord!

You can listen to the above Spiritual on the first EN4267 music CD.

or maybe you should look at this:

Dem Bones (Gonna Rise Again)

Written By: Unknown
Copyright Unknown

The lord He thought He'd make a man
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)
So he took a little water and he took a little sand
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)

I knowed it knowed it, indeed I knowed it camper
I knowed it - whee! - dem bones are gonna rise again

Now Adam he was terribly blue
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)
He didn't know exactly what to do
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)

I knowed it knowed it, indeed I knowed it camper
I knowed it - whee! - dem bones are gonna rise again

So the lord took a rib from Adam’s side
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)
And He made Miss Eve to be his bride
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)

I knowed it knowed it, indeed I knowed it camper
I knowed it - whee! - dem bones are gonna rise again

He put them in a garden fair
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)
He thought they'd be most happy there
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)

I knowed it knowed it, indeed I knowed it camper
I knowed it - whee! - dem bones are gonna rise again

Apples, peaches, pears and such
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)
But of this tree you must not touch
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)

I knowed it knowed it, indeed I knowed it camper
I knowed it - whee! - dem bones are gonna rise again

Now Eve took a walk by the tree one day
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)
And a serpent popped up in her way
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)

I knowed it knowed it, indeed I knowed it camper
I knowed it - whee! - dem bones are gonna rise again

"Now, Eve, this fruit tastes mighty fine"
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)
"Just take one, the lord won't mind"
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)

I knowed it knowed it, indeed I knowed it camper
I knowed it - whee! - dem bones are gonna rise again

So Eve took a pick and then took a pull
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)
And then she filled her apron full
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)

I knowed it knowed it, indeed I knowed it camper
I knowed it - whee! - dem bones are gonna rise again

Now Adam and Eve they tried to hide
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)
But the lord looked down, and them he spied
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)

I knowed it knowed it, indeed I knowed it camper
I knowed it - whee! - dem bones are gonna rise again

"Now Adam you must leave this place"
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)
"And earn your livin' by the sweat of your face"
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)

I knowed it knowed it, indeed I knowed it camper
I knowed it - whee! - dem bones are gonna rise again

So Adam took a pick and then took a plow
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)
And that's why we're all workin' now!
(Dem bones are gonna rise again)


or maybe it is this one:

Dem Bones

1. Lord he thought he'd make a man
Dem bones gonna rise again
Took a little water, took a little sand
Dem bones goona rise again
Chorus:
I know it, know it,
Indeed I know it -
Brother, I know it, Whee!
Dem bones gonna rise again.

2. Put him in that garden fair
Dem bones gonna rise again
Saw him mighty lonely there
Dem bones gonna rise again
Chorus:

3. Took a rib from Adam's side
Dem bones gonna rise again
Made Miss Eve to be his bride.
Dem bones gonna rise again.
Chorus:

4. Put them in that garden fair
Dem bones gonna rise again
Saw them mighty happy there.
Dem bones gonna rise again
Chorus:

5. Apples, peaches, pears and such
Dem bones gonna rise again
But one fruit you must not touch.
Dem bones gonna rise again
Chorus:

6. Round that tree old Satan slunk
Dem bones gonna rise again
At Miss Eve his eye he wunk.
Dem bones gonna rise again
Chorus:

7. My that fruit looks mighty fine
Dem bones gonna rise again
Take a bite, the Lord won't mind.
Dem bones gonna rise again
Chorus:

8. So she took a pick and she took a pull
Dem bones gonna rise again
Then she filled her apron full.
Dem bones gonna rise again
Chorus:

9. Next day when the Lord came round
Dem bones gonna rise again
Saw those cores all over the ground.
Dem bones gonna rise again
Chorus:

10. Adam, Adam, where art thou?
Dem bones gonna rise again
Here I am Lord, coming now!
Dem bones gonna rise again
Chorus:

11. Adam who these cores did leave?
Dem bones gonna rise again
Wasn't me Lord, must a been Eve.
Dem bones gonna rise again
Chorus:

12. Adam you must leave this place
Dem bones gonna rise again
Earn your bread by the sweat of your face.
Dem bones gonna rise again
Chorus:

13. So he took a pick and he took a plow
Dem bones gonna rise again
And that's why we're all singing now.
Dem bones gonna rise again
Chorus:

14. This is the end, there ain't no more
Dem bones gonna rise again
Eve got the apple, Adam got the core.
Dem bones gonna rise again
Chorus:

15. Moral of the story be
Dem bones gonna rise again
Don't leave your cores for the Lord to see.
Dem bones gonna rise again
Chorus:


Not sure which one the musician said he would be singing. If he does not sing it, ask for it. Why else would you want to memorize it.

See you on August 7 and good luck on your midterms.
posted by Cecil Hill @ 8:34 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Cecil Hill
Home: Bangkok, Huamark. Bangkapi, Thailand
About Me: Retired military officer and wife. Taught at Assumption University of Thailand from 2002 -2007 and at Southwest Jiaotong University - Emei Branch 2007 -2010. Currently retired and living at home in Bangkok, Thailand. More formal education than common sense dictates. Career language and cultural enthusiasts. Combined knowledge of more languages than is practical. Both realized early on that material never out weighs spiritual. Pursuing the spiritual as a lifelong endeavor.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links for EN4267

Dashboard

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER